Application Engineer - Roasting Intelligence (f/m/d)
Innsbruck or Vienna, Austria • Full-time
At Cropster, we are building market-leading Software as a Service (SaaS) solutions to empower businesses throughout the coffee supply chain. Tens of thousands of customers all over the world from farm to cup use our software products to make better coffee.
We’re a fast-growing business that is highly focused on our customers and the benefits we can bring them through close collaboration—with a successful history of over 15 years. We also believe that work-life balance is more than a catchphrase; it is a part of our success. We encourage empowerment and taking over responsibilities. We provide our team with room to grow within our organization to develop their interests and expertise whatever their current experience level. We are committed to building a culture of inclusion and embracing diversity in all its forms. We offer fair, competitive, and transparent pay. The range for this position is € 40K to € 55K gross and we look at factors like your experience and individual qualifications to determine our offer, which includes benefits like an educational budget and an endless stream of really great coffee. We also make our best possible offer upfront—no games.
Join us and benefit from a range of employee experience offers, including:
- Flexible working time and the possibility to work from home.
- Remote work possibilities.
- State-of-the-art equipment in the office and for your home office set-up.
- Various possibilities for professional development.
- Employee volunteer work - you help others and we cover the time for that.
- Personal education & wellbeing budget.
- Sponsored team events and retreats.
- A loooot of good specialty coffee ☕️
About the role
As an Application Engineer, you will develop industry-grade software which is used in more than 100+ countries around the world in coffee roasteries. You will be part of a development team that works on our standalone application called Roasting Intelligence (RI). The RI application connects many different roasting machine types from different vendors with our cloud application. It visualizes roasting parameters in real-time, incorporates machine learning algorithms for smarter roasting, and allows one to annotate roast metadata during and after the roasting process.
What you will do
- Proactively participate in adding new features which empower our users to monitor and control coffee roasting machines - your work has a real impact on a large user base and improves the roasting processes every day!
- Collaborate directly with product managers, designers, and developers in a small, cross-functional and agile team.
- Enhance our internal knowledge base, e.g. by exchanging with hardware vendors, researching how to connect to different machines, collecting essential settings, and implementing new hardware integrations into our platform.
- Help the support team and the developers in solving customer issues.
- Build high-quality, clean, scalable, and reusable code by enforcing best practices around software engineering architecture and processes (Code Reviews, Unit testing, etc.).
- Deliver production-ready solutions for real-world problems and take ownership over parts of the product.
- Learn about the specialty coffee industry and have an impact on the livelihoods of tens of thousands of coffee producers.
Our technology stack
- The backend is written in Java.
- We use JavaFX for the visualization.
- The application communicates via REST endpoints with our cloud-based backend (Java Spring).
We are looking for a person with
- 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design.
- A degree in Computer Science or a proven track record in developing non-trivial applications is a strong plus.
- Comfortability coding in Java. Working understanding of software test automation.
- A passion for solving real-world problems and writing reusable code that lasts for years, not months.
- Ability to discuss with your team colleagues from product management, design, and development.
- A strong command of written and spoken English.
That said, we'd be particularly delighted to hire someone with
- Experience with JNI or JNA
- Knowledge of networking basics
- Debugging capabilities
- Interest in hardware electronics
- Practical knowledge of agile methodologies and code reviews
At this point, Cropster will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in Austria for this opening. For Non-EU Applicants: please attach a copy of your work permit to your application.
Why you might want to work with us
- We're small, so there are no layers of bureaucracy to work through.
- You can have a huge impact here.
- We care about our people as much as we care about our customers. Work-life balance is not only a catchphrase for us and flex time and home office are a given.
- Feedback equals growth for us. Welcoming and sharing insights help us grow personally and professionally.
- People working in the coffee industry are passionate, open, inspiring, and just pure joy to work with. There are not many industries that can claim that.
- Purpose. Our ❤ beats for coffee and its industry—from producer to barista—and our work has a lasting impact on it.
- We have a deep appreciation for a good cup of coffee and don’t get through the day without (at least) one.
Why you might not want to work with us
- We’re small, we don't have processes for everything. If you need 100% structure and prefer micromanagement, we won't make you happy.
- We grow and move at a steady pace and still learn new things as we go. If you’re reluctant to change and like things the way they are, we’re probably not a perfect match.
- If the things mentioned in the why you might want to work with us section aren’t for you.