Cloud & DevOps Engineer (f/m/d)
Innsbruck or Vienna, Austria / EU based • Full-time or part-time
Cropster is the market leader in software for the specialty coffee industry. We work with farmers, exporters, importers, and roasters in over 90 countries around the world to help them deliver a better more sustainable cup of coffee.
We’re a fast-growing and highly customer-focused business. With a successful history of over 15 years, close collaboration with customers across the world and the coffee supply chain. We believe that work-life balance is more than a catchphrase; it is a part of our success. We encourage empowerment and taking over responsibilities. We provide our team with room to grow within our organization to develop their interests and expertise whatever their current experience level. We are committed to building a culture of inclusion and embracing diversity in all its forms. We offer fair, competitive, and transparent pay. The range for this position is € 40K to € 55K gross and we look at factors like your experience and individual qualifications to determine our offer, which includes benefits like an educational budget and an endless stream of really great coffee. We also make our best possible offer upfront—no games.
We are looking for a highly motivated Cloud/DevOps Engineer to become part of our team in Innsbruck or Vienna. Join us and be part of a great team focused on creating the foundation upon which our core applications and services run. Cropster is growing and our infrastructure needs to keep getting bigger. We are collecting, processing, and analyzing a broad range of data. Our applications discover and visualize insights into the roast, sensorial, environmental, brew, and other coffee-related data sets for our global audience at scale so they can make better and smarter decisions.
About the role
As a member of our Cloud Engineering team, you will lead new initiatives and contribute to projects aimed at improving our infrastructure, processes, systems, and automation. As a Cloud Engineer at Cropster, you will collaborate tightly with the software development team and exchange ideas, and find solutions for challenges together. We believe in the power of creative lateral thinkers and strong collaboration.
You will build a deep understanding of our services that power the specialty coffee industry. Combined with your infrastructure and cloud knowledge, you will help us reach the next level by expanding our data-centric view on one of the world's most loved, and programmers' essential product: good coffee. You will use Terraform for building amazing, reliable, and reproducible services for a global audience.
We’re looking for someone with experience in an infrastructure role in an AWS environment, but we don’t expect you to know every other part of our stack coming in. We are happy to invest in people that showcase the passion and a willingness to learn. This role requires excellent communication and collaboration skills. A good understanding of software development best practices and the ability to calmly and systematically troubleshoot issues are essential too. However, you will never be on your own, we value collaboration and support across department boundaries and roles.
What you will do
- Design and implement scalable, reliable, and secure infrastructures for our services in AWS
- Improve the automation of our software development life cycle
- Manage the configuration of cloud services using infrastructure as code
- Perform research and in-depth analyses of infrastructure projects
- Keep our environments and services up-to-date and running
- Continuously improve and refine deployment strategy (CI/CD)
- Improve our monitoring and alerting strategy for our services
- Utilize your deep experience and problem-solving skills to investigate and resolve production issues
- Incident and event response together with the software engineers.
Our technology stack
- Amazon Web Services (EKS, CloudFront, IAM, EC2, Aurora MySQL, and many more)
- Terraform / Terragrunt
- Linux (Debian, Alpine, Ubuntu)
- Docker containers and docker-compose
- Git, Bitbucket, Jira, CircleCI, Sentry, DataDog
- IoT sensor gateways and time-series databases
- In the future: Amazon Managed Workflows for Apache Airflow (MWAA) for our machine learning workflows.
We are looking for people with
- Experience in an infrastructure role working with AWS services e.g. IAM, VPC, EKS, Aurora, SQS, EC2, Lambda
- Familiarity with Linux and networking
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code (IaC) and Terraform in particular
- Knowledge of containerization, preferably Docker and Kubernetes
- Ability to efficiently debug, troubleshoot, and resolve complex technical issues
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills conducive to teamwork and collaboration
- Computer Science background and fundamentals, or equivalent work experience
- A strong command of written and spoken English
That said, we'd be particularly delighted to hire someone with
- Background utilizing and supporting log analytical tools such as DataDog
- Experience working with relational databases such as MySQL
- Hands-on programming experience with Java
- Knowledge of additional languages (human and machine)
At this point, Cropster will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in Austria for this opening. For Non-EU Applicants: please attach a copy of your work permit to your application.
More about us
Why you might want to work with us
- We're small, so there are no layers of bureaucracy to work through.
- You can have a huge impact here.
- We care about our people as much as we care about our customers. Work-life balance is not only a catchphrase for us and flex time and home office are a given.
- Feedback equals growth for us. Welcoming and sharing insights help us grow personally and professionally.
- People working in the coffee industry are passionate, open, inspiring, and just pure joy to work with. There are not many industries that can claim that.
- Purpose. Our ❤ beats for coffee and its industry—from producer to barista—and our work has a lasting impact on it.
- We have a deep appreciation for a good cup of coffee and don’t get through the day without (at least) one.
Why you might not want to work with us
- We’re small, we don't have processes for everything. If you need 100% structure and prefer micromanagement, we won't make you happy.
- We grow and move at a steady pace and still learn new things as we go. If you’re reluctant to change and like things the way they are, we’re probably not a perfect match.
- If the things mentioned in the why you might want to work with us section aren’t for you.
Join us and benefit from a range of employee experience offers, including:
- Flexible working time and the possibility to work from home.
- Remote work possibilities.
- State-of-the-art equipment in the office and for your home office set-up.
- Various possibilities for professional development.
- Employee volunteer work - you help others and we cover the time for that.
- Personal education & wellbeing budget.
- A loooot of good specialty coffee ☕️