Lead Product Designer
Innsbruck/Vienna, Austria • Full-time
We are looking for a Lead product designer. Someone who leads our UI/UX team to excellence. So that our customers can use our products to produce a better, fairer and more sustainable cup of coffee.
Cropster is the market leader in software for the specialty coffee industry. We work with producers, exporters, importers and roasters of all sizes in over 90 countries around the world to help them deliver a better cup of coffee in a sustainable way.
About the role
As Lead Product Designer you will be responsible for empowering our UX / UI design team. We work closely with other teams (product management, software development, marketing and sales) to frame problems and to help define the right solutions. You are also responsible for the overall user experience, our workflows, tools and help the team grow. You look at our products mainly through the lens of our users and connect it with our company strategy.
We are following the User Centered Design Approach putting the needs of our users front and center. This means that we gather a deep understanding of our users, before designing solutions for them. It also means that we are evaluating our design solutions regularly with user testing. This approach helps us to improve the User Experience for our customers. Your goal is to own the team structure and workflows that empower everybody to ship user centered solutions in outstanding quality and keep the overall look & feel of our products consistent.
We currently use Figma for all our UI designs, with a design system in place to keep our UI consistent. For prototyping we also use Figma and conduct remote User Testing with our customers worldwide via video calls. Your goal is to regularly review the used tools & workflows and implement improvements.
What you’ll do
- Align all Product Designers in an agile product environment and help to focus on the important things
- Support and lead our product team by applying your craft: conceptual design, research, prototyping, detailed design, usability testing and implementation
- Set standards for UX & UI quality and define a strategy to achieve them
- Empower and advise UX & UI Designers in design execution
- Work closely with our product managers and our development team on new feature concepts
- Lead the constant development and maintenance of our design-system
- Be an inspiring leader that cares about their team and individual development
- Leading the team in all aspects from resource planning and hiring over individual and personal development to operational tasks like vacation and time management.
We are looking for a person with:
- 5+ years experience as a UX designer.
- 3+ years experience of working in an agile product team.
- A long track record of applying research insights to design.
- The confidence and passion to be an excellent communicator.
- Experience in designing projects across the entire product lifecycle and multiple product launches.
- Experience with UI design and current design tools.
- Experience leading a creative team with a supportive team culture.
- Empathy for customer needs who can also consider technical constraints.
- Strong knowledge in creating an inclusive and accessible design to address the needs of a diverse set of users.
- An understanding that good design is not about trends but is built on top of principles and tradeoffs. We like well-reasoned design decisions.
- An excellent command of written and spoken English.
That said, we'd be particularly delighted to hire someone with a deep appreciation for a good cup of coffee :)
At this point Cropster will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in Austria for this opening. For Non-EU applicants: please attach your work permit to your application.
We’re a fast growing business that balances purpose and profit—with a pending B Corp application i.e. no marketing jabbering. This mindset runs deep within Cropster, as does our focus on our customers and the benefits we can bring them through close collaboration—with a successful history of over 12 years. We also believe that work-life balance is more than a catch phrase, it is a part of our success. We encourage empowerment and taking over responsibilities. We provide our team with room to grow within our organization, to develop their interests and expertise whatever their current experience level. We offer fair, competitive, and transparent pay. The range for this position is €42K to €56K gross and we look at factors like your experience and individual qualifications to determine our offer, which includes benefits like an educational budget, an endless stream of really great coffee, as well as a company wide bonus based on shared goals. We also make our best possible offer upfront—no games.
Join us and be part of a great team focused on developing Cropster’s expanding product line, which includes a native desktop application that helps coffee roasters, a mobile application for sensorial tasting and a comprehensive cloud application for managing and analyzing coffee related data from farm to café, machine learning based predictions, and much more.
More about us
Flexible hours and work-life balance, what does that mean?
Work-life balance at Cropster means that you'll have time to tend to the life stuff that comes up outside your job. Doctors appointment? Sick kid? Waiting for a handyman? We have all been there and you won't need to plan your life around your working hours to take care of your life. Beside flexible working hours, we also provide the option to work from home if you want or need to. Also 38.5 hour/week are the norm, not the exception.
Cropster supports workplace diversity
Cropster does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class.