Software Developer - Java (f/m/d)
Innsbruck, the capital of the Alps, Austria • Full-time
Cropster is the market leader in software for the speciality coffee industry. We work with farmers, exporters, importers and roasters in over 90 countries around the world to help them deliver a better cup of coffee in a sustainable way.
We’re a fast growing business that is highly focused on our customers and the benefits we can bring them through close collaboration—with a successful history of over 10 years. We also believe that work-life balance is more than a catch phrase, it is a part of our success. We encourage empowerment and taking over responsibilities. We provide our team with room to grow within our organization, to develop their interests and expertise whatever their current experience level. We offer fair, competitive, and transparent pay. The range for this position is €39K to €54K gross and we look at factors like your experience and individual qualifications to determine our offer, which includes benefits like an educational budget and an endless stream of really great coffee. We also make our best possible offer upfront—no games.
Join us and be part of a great team focused on developing Cropster’s expanding product line, which includes a native desktop application that helps coffee roasters, a mobile application for sensorial tasting and a comprehensive cloud application for managing and analyzing coffee related data and more.
About the role
As a member of our Engineering team, you will be creating the foundations upon which our core applications and products are built. You will be responsible for expanding our backend to support our Roast products. These APIs serve the data that thousands of customers rely on every day around the globe. You will work closely with peers, product managers, designers and backend developers on services that power the specialty coffee industry. We collaborate closely across departments and we acknowledge learning from each other regardless of position or experience. Your opinion will be valued for architectural and implementation decisions and there will be room to grow as an expert and a person.
What you will do
- Take over cycle tasks under very limited supervision, and help your team to solve real world problems for our customers.
- Maintain and improve our existing code base to provide the best experience possible for our customers.
- Work independently on bug fixes and proactively respond to and support during incidents (e.g. system outages) and help with your knowledge to bring those incidents to a quick resolution.
- Work in small, cross functional teams, consisting of product manager, designer, back and front end developer, to improve and develop our products further.
Our technology stack
- We develop and operate a SaaS platform for speciality coffee producers, roasters and cafes.
- We build upon AWS, Aurora MySQL, and Spring Framework.
- We also use Slack, Jira, Git, Docker, and CircleCI.
We are looking for a person with:
- A deep knowledge and practical experience with JavaEE and who shares our excitement for software development with the Spring Framework and Spring Boot.
- An understanding for databases and ORM frameworks like Hibernate.
- A TDD mindset and the ability to write useful tests and an appreciation for security and performance
- A degree in Computer Science or related fields or a proven track record in developing non-trivial applications.
- Several years of working experience as a software developer using modern, object oriented programming languages.
- Experience in Git, CI/CD and cloud services.
- A passion for solving real world problems, providing loosely coupled software and writing reusable code based on established software design patterns that lasts for years, not months.
- Solid knowledge of established best practices in the domain of software engineering.
- A strong command of written and spoken English.
That said, we'd be particularly delighted to hire someone with:
- Working experience with Spring (Boot).
- An understanding for relational databases and architecture design.
- Familiarity with cloud native applications.
- Knowledge of additional languages (human and machine).
- Experience with code reviews and agile methodologies.
More about us
What is it like to work from the Innsbruck office at Cropster?
Our office was carefully and thoughtfully designed to encourage both collaborative work and give you quiet space to focus. In addition to the standard height-adjustable desk, you'll have several spaces throughout the office to work. We often cook and eat together. We don’t eat at our desks. We’re social both in and outside the office.
What is it like to live in Innsbruck?
As the capital of the Austrian Alps in Tyrol, Innsbruck is a world class destination for skiing, snowboarding, hiking, biking, climbing and countless other outdoor activities. It only takes 20 minutes to get from the city center to 2,256 meters above sea level, summer and winter. If you enjoy outdoor sports it is one of the world leaders—we think #1. It also has a great university, lots of bars, cafes and clubs, a good live music scene, an impressive infrastructure and business environment for a city of its size along with a well connected airport. Innsbruck is only 30 minutes from Italy and 45 minutes from Germany. Bottom line, outside the office you are spoiled for choice in Innsbruck.
TL;DR It’s awesome. Seriously.
Flexible hours and work-life balance, what does that mean?
Work-life balance at Cropster means that you'll have time to tend to the life stuff that comes up outside your job. Doctors appointment? Sick kid? Waiting for a handyman? We have all been there and you won't need to plan your life around your working hours to take care of your life. Beside flexible working hours, we also provide the option to work from home if you want or need to. Also 38.5 hour/week are the norm, not the exception. And if there is a big powder day, there is not much stopping you from hitting the slopes.