Team Lead Product Design (f/m/d)
Innsbruck/Vienna, Austria • Full-time
We are looking for a Team Lead for our Product Design Team - someone who leads our UI/UX team to excellence, so that our customers can use our products to produce a better, fairer, and more sustainable cup of coffee.
Cropster is the market leader in software for the specialty coffee industry. We work with producers, exporters, importers, and roasters of all sizes in over 90 countries around the world to help them deliver a better cup of coffee in a sustainable way. We’re a fast-growing business that balances purpose and profit—with a pending B Corp application i.e. no marketing jabbering. This mindset runs deep within Cropster, as does our focus on our customers and the benefits we can bring them through close collaboration—with a successful history of over 12 years. We also believe that work-life balance is more than a catchphrase, it is a part of our success. We encourage empowerment and taking over responsibilities. We provide our team with room to grow within our organization, to develop their interests and expertise whatever their current experience level. We are committed to building a culture of inclusion and embracing diversity in all its forms. We offer fair, competitive, and transparent pay. The range for this position is € 55K to € 65K gross and we look at factors like your experience and individual qualifications to determine our offer, which includes benefits like an educational budget, an endless stream of really great coffee, as well as a company-wide bonus based on shared goals. We also make our best possible offer upfront—no games.
Join us and be part of a great team focused on developing Cropster’s expanding product line, which includes a native desktop application that helps coffee roasters, a mobile application for sensorial tasting, and a comprehensive cloud application for managing and analyzing coffee-related data from farm to café, machine learning-based predictions, and much more.
About the role
As the Leader of our Product Design Team, you will be responsible for empowering our UX / UI design team. You work closely with other teams (product management, software development, marketing, and sales) to frame problems and help define the right solutions. You are also responsible for the overall user experience, our workflows, tools, and the growth of the design team. You look at our products mainly through the lens of our users and connect them with our company strategy.
We are following the User-Centered Design Approach putting the needs of our users front and center. This means that we gather a deep understanding of our users, before designing solutions for them. It also means that we are evaluating our design solutions regularly with user testing. This approach helps us to improve the User Experience for our customers. Your goal is to own the team structure and workflows that empower everybody to ship user-centered solutions of outstanding quality and keep the overall look & feel of our products consistent. We use Figjam and Figma for ideation and prototyping of solutions in all levels of fidelity and have a solid Design System in place to keep our UI consistent across products.
We currently use Figma for all our UI designs, with a design system in place to keep our UI consistent. For prototyping, we also use Figma and conduct remote User Testing with our customers worldwide via video calls. Your goal is to regularly review the used tools & workflows and implement improvements.
What you’ll do
- Align all Product Designers in an agile multi-product environment and help them to focus on the important things.
- Support and lead our product team by applying your craft: conceptual design, research, prototyping, detailed design, usability testing, and implementation.
- Set standards for UX & UI quality and define a strategy to achieve them.
- Empower and advise UX & UI Designers in design execution.
- Work closely with our product managers and our development team on new feature concepts.
- Lead the constant development and maintenance of our design system.
- Be an inspiring leader that cares about their team and leads it in all aspects from resource planning and hiring over individual and personal development to operational tasks like vacation and time management.
We are looking for a person with:
- 5+ years experience as a UX designer.
- 3+ years of experience working in an agile product team.
- Experience leading a creative team within a supportive team culture.
- A long track record of applying research insights to design.
- The confidence and passion to be an excellent communicator.
- Experience in designing projects across the entire product lifecycle and multiple product launches.
- Experience with UI design and current design tools.
- Empathy for customer needs paired with an understanding of technical constraints.
- Strong knowledge in creating an inclusive and accessible design to address the needs of a diverse set of users.
- An understanding that good design is not about trends but is built on top of principles and tradeoffs. We like well-reasoned design decisions.
- An excellent command of written and spoken English.
That said, we'd be particularly delighted to hire someone with a deep appreciation for a good cup of coffee :)
At this point, Cropster will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in Austria for this opening. For Non-EU applicants: please attach your work permit to your application.
Why you might want to work with us
- We're small, so there are no layers of bureaucracy to work through.
- You can have a huge impact here.
- We care about our people as much as we care about our customers. Work-life balance is not only a catchphrase for us and flex time and home office are a given.
- Feedback equals growth for us. Welcoming and sharing insights help us grow personally and professionally.
- People working in the coffee industry are passionate, open, inspiring, and just pure joy working with. There are not many industries that can claim that.
- Purpose. Our ❤ beats for coffee and its industry—from producer to barista—and our work has a lasting impact on it.
- A deep appreciation for a good cup of coffee and don’t get through the day without (at least) one.
Why you might not want to work with us
- We’re small, we don't have processes for everything. If you need 100% structure and prefer micromanagement, this job will not make you happy.
- We grow and move at a steady pace and still learn new things as we go. If you’re reluctant to change and like things the way they are, we’re probably not a perfect match.
- If the things mentioned in the why you might want to work with us section aren’t for you.