Backend Software Engineer - Remote EU-based (f/m/d)
EU based • Full-time
Cropster is the market leader in software for the speciality coffee industry. We work with farmers, exporters, importers and roasters in over 90 countries around the world to help them deliver a better cup of coffee in a sustainable way.
We’re a fast growing business that is highly focused on our customers and the benefits we can bring them through close collaboration—with a successful history of over 10 years. We also believe that work-life balance is more than a catch phrase, it is a part of our success. We encourage empowerment and taking over responsibilities. We provide our team with room to grow within our organization, to develop their interests and expertise whatever their current experience level. We offer fair, competitive, and transparent pay. The range for this position is €39K to €54K gross and we look at factors like your experience and individual qualifications to determine our offer, which includes benefits like an educational budget and an endless stream of really great coffee. We also make our best possible offer upfront—no games.
Join us and be part of a great team focused on developing Cropster’s expanding product line, which includes a native desktop application that helps coffee roasters, a mobile application for sensorial tasting and a comprehensive cloud application for managing and analyzing coffee related data and more.
About the role
You will be responsible for expanding our backend to support our Roast products. These APIs serve the data that thousands of customers rely on every day around the globe. You will work closely with peers, product managers, designers and backend developers on services that power the specialty coffee industry. We collaborate closely across departments and we acknowledge learning from each other regardless of position or experience.
What you will do
- Collaborate directly with product managers, designers and developers in small, cross functional team, on our web-based platform for speciality coffee producers, roasters and cafes
- Work with the product managers to understand detailed requirements and own your code from design, implementation, test automation and delivery
- Build high-quality, clean, scalable and reusable code by enforcing best practices around software engineering architecture and processes (Code Reviews, Unit testing, etc.)
- Deliver production ready solutions for real world problems
- Have ownership over parts of the product
- Learn about the speciality coffee industry and have an impact on the livelihoods of tens of thousands of coffee producers
Our technology stack
- The backend is written in Java
- We build upon AWS and the Spring Framework
- Aurora MySQL is our database of choice
We are looking for a person with:
- A degree in Computer Science or related fields or a proven track record in developing non-trivial applications
- 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
- Comfortable coding in Java
- Working understanding of software test automation (TDD and testing frameworks like Junit, Mockito, TestNG)
- A passion for solving real world problems and writing reusable code that lasts for years, not months
- Ability to discuss with your teammates from product management, design and development
- A strong command of written and spoken English
- Experience working remotely
That said, we'd be particularly delighted to hire someone with:
- Experience with Java and RESTful web services (Jersey, Spring)
- Experience with the Spring Framework and/or Spring Boot
- Practical knowledge of agile methodologies and code reviews
At this point Cropster will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in Austria/the EU for this opening. For Non-EU applicants: please attach your work permit to your application.
Disclaimer: When it comes to our development team, we are fairly new to fully remote working arrangements. While Cropster has been a distributed company since day one, with offices and employees in several countries around the globe, our core product team was always based out of our Austrian offices in Innsbruck and Vienna. We strongly believe that our culture, diversity and camaraderie is the driver of our success and it’s something we cherish and hold in high regards. Joining Cropster as a fully remote employee should not take away from that. We know that will have to adapt and explore ways to make this reality. We are therefore looking for someone with remote experience that can help us shape this idea and make it a reality.
More about us
Flexible hours and work-life balance, what does that mean?
Work-life balance at Cropster means that you'll have time to tend to the life stuff that comes up outside your job. Doctors appointment? Sick kid? Waiting for a handyman? We have all been there and you won't need to plan your life around your working hours to take care of your life. Beside flexible working hours, we also provide the option to work from home if you want or need to. Also 38.5 hour/week are the norm, not the exception. And if there is a big powder day, there is not much stopping you from hitting the slopes.