Cloud Engineer (f/m/d)
Innsbruck or Vienna, Austria • Full-time
Cropster is the market leader in software for the specialty coffee industry. We work with farmers, exporters, importers and roasters in over 90 countries around the world to help them deliver a better more sustainable cup of coffee.
We’re a fast growing and highly customer focussed business. With a successful history of over 10 years, close collaboration with customers across the world and the coffee supply chain. We believe that work-life balance is more than a catch phrase; it is a part of our success. We encourage empowerment and taking over responsibilities. We provide our team with room to grow within our organization to develop their interests and expertise whatever their current experience level. We are committed to building a culture of inclusion and embrace diversity in all its forms. We offer fair, competitive, and transparent pay. The range for this position is € 45K to 55K gross and we look at factors like your experience and individual qualifications to determine our offer, which includes benefits like an educational budget and an endless stream of really great coffee. We also make our best possible offer upfront—no games.
We are looking for a highly motivated Cloud Engineer to become part of our team in Innsbruck. Join us and be part of a great team focused on creating the foundation upon which our core applications and services run. Cropster is growing and our infrastructure needs to keep getting bigger. We are collecting, processing and analyzing a broad range of process data. Our applications discover and visualize insights into roast, sensorial, environmental, brew and other coffee related data sets for our global audience at scale so they can make better and smarter decisions.
About the role
As a member of our Cloud Engineering team, you will lead new initiatives and contribute to projects aimed at improving our infrastructure, processes, systems, and automation. As a Cloud Engineer at Cropster you will collaborate tightly with the software development team and exchange ideas and find solutions for challenges together. We believe in the power of creative lateral thinkers and prefer collaboration as our mode of work.
You will build a deep understanding of our services that power the specialty coffee industry. Combined with your infrastructure and cloud knowledge, you will help us reaching the next level by expanding our data centric view on one of the world's most loved, and programmers essential product: good coffee. You will use Terraform for building amazing, reliable and reproducible services for a global audience.
We’re looking for someone with experience in an infrastructure role in a AWS environment, but we don’t expect you to know every other part of our stack coming in. We are happy to invest in people that showcase passion and a willingness to learn. This role requires excellent communication and collaboration skills. A good understanding of software development best practices and the ability to calmly and systematically trouble shoot issues are essential too. However, you will never be on your own, we value collaboration and support across department boundaries and roles.
What you will do
- Design and implement scalable, reliable and secure infrastructures for our services in AWS
- Improve the automation of our software development life cycle
- Manage the configuration of cloud services using infrastructure as code
- Perform research and make in depth analysis of infrastructure projects
- Keep our environments and services up-to-date and running
- Continuously improve and refine deployment strategy (CI/CD)
- Improve our monitoring and alerting strategy for our services
- Utilize your deep experience and problem solving skills to investigate and resolve production issues
- Incident and event response together with the software engineers.
Our technology stack
- Amazon Web Services (EKS, CloudFront, IAM, EC2, Aurora MySQL and many more)
- Terraform / Terragrunt
- Linux (Debian, Alpine, Ubuntu)
- Docker containers and docker-compose
- Git, Bitbucket, Jira, CircleCI, Sentry, DataDog
- IoT sensor gateways and time series databases
- In the future: Amazon Managed Workflows for Apache Airflow (MWAA) for our machine learning workflows.
We are looking for people with
- Experience in an infrastructure role working with AWS services e.g. IAM, VPC, EKS, Aurora, SQS, EC2, Lambda
- Familiarity with Linux and networking
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code (IaC) and Terraform in particular
- Knowledge of containerization, preferably Docker and Kubernetes
- Able to calmly and efficiently debug, troubleshoot, and resolve complex technical issues
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills conducive to teamwork and collaboration
- Computer Science background and fundamentals, or equivalent work experience
- A strong command of written and spoken English
That said, we'd be particularly delighted to hire someone with
- Background utilizing and supporting log analytical tools such as DataDog
- Experience working with relational databases such as MySQL
- Hands on programming experience with Java
- Knowledge of additional languages (humane and machine)
At this point Cropster will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in Austria for this opening. For Non-EU Applicants: please attach a copy of your work permit to your application.
More about us
What we offer:
Flexible hours and work-life balance, what does that mean?
Work-life balance at Cropster means that you'll have time to tend to the life stuff that comes up outside your job. Doctor's appointment? Sick kid? Waiting for a handyman? We have all been there and you won't need to plan your life around your working hours to take care of your life. Beside flexible working hours, we also provide the option to work from home if you want or need to. Also 38.5 hour/week are the norm, not the exception.
What is it like to live in Innsbruck?
As the capital of the Austrian Alps in Tyrol, Innsbruck is a world-class destination for skiing, snowboarding, hiking, biking, climbing and countless other outdoor activities. It only takes 20 minutes to get from the city center to 2,256 meters above sea level, summer and winter. If you enjoy outdoor sports, it is one of the world leaders—we think #1. It also has a great university, lots of bars, cafes and clubs, a good live music scene, an impressive infrastructure and business environment for a city of its size along with a well-connected airport. Innsbruck is only 30 minutes from Italy and 45 minutes from Germany. Bottom line, outside the office, you are spoiled for choice in Innsbruck.
TL;DR It’s awesome. Seriously.