Frontend Software Engineer (f/m/d)
EU based • Full-time
Cropster is the market leader in software for the specialty coffee industry. We work with farmers, exporters, importers, and roasters in over 90 countries around the world to help them deliver a better cup of coffee in a sustainable way.
We’re a fast-growing business that is highly focused on our customers and the benefits we can bring them through close collaboration—with a successful history of over 15 years. We also believe that work-life balance is more than a catchphrase, it is a part of our success. We encourage empowerment and taking over responsibilities. We provide our team with room to grow within our organization, to develop their interests and expertise whatever their current experience level. We are committed to building a culture of inclusion and embracing diversity in all its forms. We offer fair, competitive, and transparent pay. The range for this position is € 40K to 55K gross and we look at factors like your experience and individual qualifications to determine our offer, which includes benefits like an educational budget and an endless stream of really great coffee. We also make our best possible offer upfront—no games.
Join us and be part of a great team focused on developing Cropster’s expanding product line, which includes a native desktop application that helps coffee roasters, a mobile application for sensorial tasting and a comprehensive cloud application for managing and analyzing coffee-related data, and more.
About the role
As a Frontend Developer, you join a team of experienced developers striving to deliver the best possible user experience for our customers. We use Ember.js, React and TypeScript in the frontend with a fully automated CI/CD pipeline to test, bundle and ship our code.
You will work closely with peers, product managers, designers, and backend developers on services that power the specialty coffee industry. We collaborate closely across departments and we acknowledge learning from each other regardless of position or experience. We believe in growing together and we welcome your contributions to architectural and implementation decisions. This role provides ample room to grow not only as an expert in your field but also as a person.
What you will do
- Work directly with product managers, designers, and developers in a small, cross-functional team, on our web-based platform for specialty coffee producers, roasters, and cafes
- Build client code that is fast, testable, and high quality
- Iterate quickly based on user feedback
- Take over cycle tasks and solve real-world problems for our customers
- Maintain and improve our existing code base to deliver the best experience possible for a worldwide audience
- Have ownership over parts of the product
- Learn about the specialty coffee industry and have an impact on the livelihoods of tens of thousands of coffee producers
Our technology stack
- We use Ember.js and React
- Our CI/CD pipeline is fully automated
- We use JSON:API
We are looking for people with
- A degree in Computer Science or related fields or a proven track record in developing non-trivial applications
- 3+ years of working experience as a software developer using modern, object-oriented programming languages
- Understanding of software development and delivery process and related technologies like Git, CI/CD pipelines, testing, bundling, containerization, and deployment
- A passion for solving real-world problems and writing reusable code that lasts for years, not months
- Ability to discuss with your teammates from product management, design, and development
- A strong command of written and spoken English
- Experience working remotely
That said, we'd be particularly delighted to hire someone with
- Experience with TypeScript
- Experience with Progressive Web Apps
- Practical knowledge of agile methodologies and code reviews
At this point, Cropster will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in Austria/the EU for this opening. For Non-EU applicants: please attach your work permit to your application.
Disclaimer: When it comes to our development team, we are fairly new to fully remote working arrangements. While Cropster has been a distributed company since day one, with offices and employees in several countries around the globe, our core product team has always been based in Austria.
We strongly believe that our culture, diversity, and team spirit is the driver of our success and it’s something we cherish and hold in high regard. Joining Cropster as a fully remote employee should not take away from that and we are more than open to adapting and exploring ways to accommodate remote colleagues in the future. We are therefore looking for someone with remote work experience, who helps us shape this idea and turn it into our new reality.
Why you might want to work with us
- We're small, so there are no layers of bureaucracy to work through.
- You can have a huge impact here.
- We care about our people as much as we care about our customers. Work-life balance is not only a catchphrase for us and flex time and home office are a given.
- Feedback equals growth for us. Welcoming and sharing insights help us grow personally and professionally.
- People working in the coffee industry are passionate, open, inspiring, and just pure joy to work with. There are not many industries that can claim that.
- Purpose. Our ❤ beats for coffee and its industry—from producer to barista—and our work has a lasting impact on it.
- We have a deep appreciation for a good cup of coffee and don’t get through the day without (at least) one.
Why you might not want to work with us
- We’re small, we don't have processes for everything. If you need 100% structure and prefer micromanagement, we won't make you happy.
- We grow and move at a steady pace and still learn new things as we go. If you’re reluctant to change and like things the way they are, we’re probably not a perfect match.
- If the things mentioned in the why you might want to work with us section aren’t for you.